XFree86 vesa and radeon 9600 driver voor AMD64

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue May 18 19:17:14 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 12:54 pm, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> [...]

There is a kernel module called 'vesa'.  Thats what I was saying wasn't
possible.

What xfree86 has, is a simple user mode 8086 emulator that executes the
video card's bios code in an interpreter.  In some configurations,
xfree86 (like syscons) uses the kernel to execute this code for real,
rather than in a software 8086 interpreter.

I probably just got my wires crossed about which one was being asked
about.  I didn't know that there was an xfree86 display driver called
"vesa".
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com