XFree86 vesa and radeon 9600 driver voor AMD64

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Wed May 19 01:05:29 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Wemm" <peter at wemm.org>

> > > The vesa module uses vm86 or bios calls from the kernel.  Those are
> > > not possible in a 64 bit kernel.
> >
> > I hate to agrue with you because you seem te be much more
> > knowledgable on this than I am, BUT .......
> > I did not know this and just compiled vesa..... installed it.
>
> There is a kernel module called 'vesa'.  Thats what I was saying wasn't
> possible.
>
> What xfree86 has, is a simple user mode 8086 emulator that executes the
> video card's bios code in an interpreter.  In some configurations,
> xfree86 (like syscons) uses the kernel to execute this code for real,
> rather than in a software 8086 interpreter.
>
> I probably just got my wires crossed about which one was being asked
> about.  I didn't know that there was an xfree86 display driver called
> "vesa".

I see what you mean. No, I'm not talking about the first one....

So I repeat the question:
    Was there any reason not to inlcude this VESA driver with
    the XFree86-4-Server package??

Because if there are none, it is as very nice module for all those
of use with semi unsupported chipsets.

Having said that, I''m off to compile, test and install XFree 4.4
and what it does with my ATI 9600.

--WjW