perl 5.8.3 in ports

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Wed Mar 24 14:24:58 PST 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 23:04, Vivek Khera wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2004, at 4:54 PM, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> >> Personally, I prefer not to be poked at my direct email since I
> >> monitor
> >> this list, but I suppose I could email tobez directly, too.
> >
> > That's a pretty strange notion - port maintainers need to supply a
> > valid mail
> > address for the MAINTAINER field for a reason.
>
> Until you have a very popular port, at which time about 30 seconds
> after the author releases an update you start getting pounded with
> repeated questions of when will it be updated.

Very true :-). However, if that's _really_ a problem for a maintainer (for
example because of job-induced periods of ENOTIMEFORFREEBSD), MAINTAINER
should be (re)set to ports at freebsd.org - it doesn't stop anybody from caring
about a port and regularly submitting updates, but it will stop the "New
version iz out, can u update plz, thx!!!111!!" spam.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org