INDEX-5 update policy?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Mar 10 17:57:41 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:04:02AM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> [I'm not subscribed to ports@; please CC me]
>
> I'm installing my first 5.x box and playing with portupgrade, and I've just
> spent half a day working out why "portupgrade -N firefox" wasn't working
> (while it works fine on the 4.x build box).
>
> Firstly, it took a while to work out the INDEX-5 vs INDEX issue.  Then it was
> clear that INDEX-5 is updated in CVS much less frequently than INDEX - by
> looking at CVS logs, it seems only at release time.  I'm currently running a
> "make index" but this takes hours...
>
> What is the policy with INDEX-5?

Both INDEX and INDEX-5 are updated about once a month, in staggered
intervals to avoid spamming cvsup users too much.  INDEX-5 was not
rebuilt for a while because of the delays in the 5.2/5.2.1 release
cycle.

More frequently than this causes too much cvsup and CVS repository
churn.

> Is relying on CVSup for this always going to be futile?

Probably.

I build INDEX every two hours to test for failures - I'd like to
publish these on the website, so people can fetch a more recent copy
using e.g. fetch(1) as needed, fbut I haven't been able to get a
response from the www machine administrators about enabling account
access on that machine.

Kris