ports/63427: [lang/gcc33] Disabling the Java frontend at compile time

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sat Mar 6 02:33:44 PST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> But in order to not break package building (make package), it need a way to
> specify to not include (uninstalled) java files while doing the packing list.
> I tried something like :
>
> post-install:
> .if defined(WITHOUT_JAVA)
> .for j in ${JAVA_BINARIES} gcj  ...
> 	(${ECHO_CMD}  "@ignore_inst bin/${j}${SUFFIX}") >> ${TMPPLIST}
> .endfor
> .endif
>
> But that doesn't work with the current building process..
> Any clue on how to remove files from the plist ?

Yes. ;-)

In fact, I am currently working to fix the gcc ports on sparc and ia64,
where libjava is not built.  My plan is to add a knob, WITHOUT_LIBJAVA
or similiar, which is enabled by default on these two platforms, and
which you could then simply use for your purpose as well.

Since I assume you are mostly worried about build time and size of the
package, this might in fact be sufficient? (Building Java without libjava
is comparatively cheap.)  If it is not, you can simply extend the
framework I'm going to add to also disable Java per se.

Does that sound like a good plan?

> Other possibilities to fix the plist may be to use a small perl script. Thus,
> the script could be triggered like this:
> EXTRA_PATCHES=${FILESDIR}/nojava_plist.pl

We should try to avoid relying on Perl, as far as I understood.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/