Advice on dealing with upgraded devel port?

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 2 15:01:56 PST 2004

V út, 02. 03. 2004 v 23:55, Craig Boston píše:

> Hi, I'm a little new at port maintership, and I'd appreciate some tips on the
> best way to handle an upgrade to stable/devel ports.
>
> The current situation is:
>
> audio/audacity:    contains audacity 1.0.0 release (previous stable version)
> audio/audacity-devel:    audacity 1.2.0pre3 (development version, was
> repocopied from audio/audacity before being changed to 1.2.0)
>
> Now that 1.2.0 has been formally released, what is the best way to handle an
> upgrade such as this:
>
> Remove audacity and repocopy the devel version to it before upgrading?

No,

> Keep the old one around somewhere in case somebody needs it for some odd
> reason?

that's taken care by cvs automagically,

> Or just commit patches to upgrade audacity and remove the devel one
> altogether?

Yes! This is the way it's usually done.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

How will you recognize experienced hacker from beginner?
Beginner thinks that kilobyte have 1000 bytes.
Experienced hacker thinks one kilometer have 1024 meters.