port dependency conventions

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Jun 23 13:39:05 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have been planning to start maintaing a few ports for a while now, and
recently got around to looking at the issues. I decided to start with
something simple - in this case, slime (Superior Lisp Mode for Emacs).

slime needs either emacs or xemacs, and some form of Common Lisp (cmucl,
clisp, or sbcl).

What is the preferred way to handle dependencies in this case? As far as I am
aware there is no mechanism in place to depend on a 'a lisp' or 'an emacs',
but only on specific ports. Is this correct?

As a user/administator I would prefer ports of this type to not depend on
these things (same goes for Java not depending on specific JDK:s etc), but I
am not sure what the convention is.

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org