HEADS UP FIREFOX USERS: New firefox must be run as root FIRST!

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 16 06:33:02 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 02:17, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Joe,
>
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 08:13:55PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > If you're going to install the new firefox-0.9 update, there's something
> > important you should know.  You MUST run firefox as root before running
> > it as any other user.  The best way to do this is to su - to root or log
> > in as root (i.e. do not su -m to root).  After becoming root, simply run
> > ``firefox''.  You can then quit the browser, then run it as any other
> > user.  If you do not run firefox as root first, the browser window will
> > not appear.
> >
> > This is a known issue with 0.9.  See the Known Issues list at:
> >
> > http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/0.9.html
> >
> > (it's the first one)
>
> thanks for the headsup (and the porting!) -- I can't believe why they've
> regressed in this, after the ultralong discussion about this way back when
> mozilla 0.9 was released with this same annoying behaviour :(
>
> Is there a bug nr. somewhere where this is discussed? It's not in the
> release notes.

I pulled this from their release notes.  Look at the Known Issues link
in the release notes.  I don't know if there's a bug with more details,
but the problem certainly exists.  I'm trying to find a better way to
work around it, but so far, running first as root is the most reliable
option.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke