XFree86 and VIA M10000 Video

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at guest.arnes.si
Fri Jun 4 11:34:33 GMT 2004

On Friday 04 of June 2004 08:01, Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> On Friday 04 of June 2004 06:45, Eric Osterweil wrote:
> > Thank you very much for the help so far.  At this
> > point, I have the 4.3.99 server installed.  Now,
> > however, the server won't start because of some
> > unresolved symbols.  I have included a snippet from my
> > XFree86.0.log:
> > (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> > (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
> > (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> > (II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> >         compiled for 4.3.99.15, module version = 0.1.0
> >         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.7
> > (EE) via(0): Given depth (15) is not supported by this
> > driver
>
> [snip]
>
> It seems that you have section "Screen" wrong in your XF86Config. Try using
> XFree86 -configure to get a working configuration (see
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html).
> If this doesn't work, and also for some other tips (setting video memory
> explicitly) see:
> http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=47478
> http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=47455
> and especially:
> http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaXfree
> which has a sample XF86Config.
> The via driver seems to be on a bit experimental side, but i hope this gets
> you a bit further...
>
> Dejan

As others have pointed out, you have much better chances of success with
x11-servers/xorg-server instead of xfree snapshot as it is newer and via
driver has been updated quite a lot since snapshot. I'm sorry I got a bit
distracted by question about 4.3.99 and replied to how to get that rather
than how to get even newer version. The same upgrade procedure should apply
to this server, although you might want to install libraries and clients from
xorg for consistency.

Dejan