XFree86 and VIA M10000 Video

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at guest.arnes.si
Fri Jun 4 06:06:43 GMT 2004

On Friday 04 of June 2004 06:45, Eric Osterweil wrote:

> Thank you very much for the help so far.  At this
> point, I have the 4.3.99 server installed.  Now,
> however, the server won't start because of some
> unresolved symbols.  I have included a snippet from my
> XFree86.0.log:
> (II) Setting vga for screen 0.
> (II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
> (II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
> (II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.3.99.15, module version = 0.1.0
>         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.7
> (EE) via(0): Given depth (15) is not supported by this
> driver
[snip]

It seems that you have section "Screen" wrong in your XF86Config. Try using
XFree86 -configure to get a working configuration (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html). If
this doesn't work, and also for some other tips (setting video memory
explicitly) see:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=47478
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=47455
and especially:
http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaXfree
which has a sample XF86Config.
The via driver seems to be on a bit experimental side, but i hope this gets
you a bit further...

Dejan