Are files and directories mandatory in pkg-plist ?

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Tue Jul 20 04:25:41 PDT 2004

David Julien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I write a port for an ocaml package (my first one!) but I have a
> problem when I try to deinstall the port. Indeed I use an ocaml
> program which is named "ocamlfind" to install and deinstall the files
> at the right place in the ocaml library directory. But this program
> deletes automatically the directories and the files when the port is
> deinstall, and failed if the directories / files are already deleted.

You have the problem of two conflicting package managers (ocamlfind and
pkg_install tools). I guess installing from a package (via pkg_add)
doesn't work too?

> I have to run it to deinstall properly the package because, for this
> package, it updates some configuration files (which does not seem the
> case for other ocaml package ports).

Is there a way to update the configuration files without having
ocamlfind installing/deinstalling files?

> Do I have to list in the pkg-plist the files and directories or it is
> not mandatory ? If it is mandatory, what can I do ?

It depends. While I would strongly prefer a solution where you list the
files as `owned' by the package, but when there is no way to make this
work you could just embed them as ignored files and call ocamlfind
install/remove from pkg-install/pkg-deinstall.

-Oliver