[HEADS UP] PHP mega-commit

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 06:32:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 03:00:31PM +0200, Alex Dupre wrote:

> In a few words, the old "big" php port has been splitted into "base"
> PHP, PEAR, and shared extensions. Every extension has its own slave port
> and can be installed/deinstalled in a finer way without recompiling PHP.
> Moreover, we can remove all ugly php slave ports created to enable
> extensions (like php4-horde and so on, that cause packaging issues),
> since now a port can depend on a particular set of extensions.
> To conclude, PEAR (devel/php[4-5]-pear) can be used either with CLI or
> with CGI sapi.

This looks really good.

Hmmm... Any chance of adding a 'WANT_PHP_SUPHP' flag as an equivalent
of the WANT_PHP_MOD or WANT_PHP_CLI sort of settings?  I've got a
couple of ports (net/phpldapadmin, databases/phpmyadmin) where as this
patch stands when the user chooses 'WITH_SUPHP', I'd lose the
capability to depend on the OpenLDAP or MySQL extensions.

Not that I'm complaining too much, as at the moment in either case I'm
relying on a combination of pkg_message and the users' common sense to
get an appropriate set of extensions installed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way