Stale Dependency

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 02:23:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 09:45:25AM +0100, Alan Ryan wrote:
> Hi,  I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but I guess
> I'll find out soon.
>
> The last two or three times I have run portversion, I received the
> following message:
>
> "Stale dependency: gimp-gnome-2.0.2,1 --> gsfonts-8.11_1 -- manually run
> 'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force."

This means that you haven't installed the Ghostscript fonts port --
either you're doing without, or you've installed some other port which
provides equivalent functionality.

> I run the command suggested (pkgdb -F), but as it is a little confusing
> I ran "pkgdb -fu", which always seems to exit fine but does not solve
> the problem.

You've basically got three choices.

i) Install the print/gsfonts port.  Running pkgdb(1) after you've done
that will detect that port has been installed and can resolve the
dependency, meaning pkgdb(1) will shut up about this issue for ever after.

ii) Decide you don't want a dependency on print/gsfonts -- which would
be appropriate if you've deleted that port or installed those fonts
outside the ports system.  In this case, use 'Ctrl-D' to delete the
dependency when prompted by pkgdb(1).

iii) You've installed some other port that provides the standard 35
postscript fonts.  The X-Windows fonts collections also include those
fonts, and there has been some move to get both X and ghostscript to
use the same font definition files (mostly so things will look the
same on screen and on printout), but I'm not sure if it's been
released for public consumption yet.

In this case, you need to find out what port you are using to provide
those fonts, and type it's name in when pkgdb(1) prompts you for the
dependency.

For either of cases (ii) and (iii) you may well have to repeat those
corrections should some port in the dependency tree between gimp and
gsfonts get updated.  In theory you can populate the ALT_PKGDEP array
in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, but in practice this doesn't seem to
have a great deal of effect.

Don't expect too much from pkgdb's attempts to guess the name of any
replacement packages.  All it does is look for packages where the name
starts similarly, which is sometimes OK but quite often wildly wrong.
For instance pkgdb(1) doesn't understand that xorg-libraries-\* is a
suitable replacement for XFree86-libraries-\*, or that p5-DBD-mysql-\*
can replace p5-Mysql-modules-\*.  Note too that while you're typing in the
replacement package name, you can hit the TAB key and have the package
name autocomplete.  Very handy feature, that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way