where to install data? (boinc)

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Thu Jul 1 17:39:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:26:43 +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> Are you talking about *data files* or the program here? Normally hier(7)
> should answer most of you questions, and during installation time you
> should only put files into ${PREFIX}/.., which should have it's default
> value.

boinc is strict on where the program files go.

I can make the -boinc- binaries go into their normal places, however
seti_boinc's binaries (which is a separate port) -CANNOT- go anywhere
else -but- with the boinc data. In fact, as far as boinc is concerned, the
seti_boinc binaries -are- data, and on some platforms where the
boinc/seti people have binaries, they will auto-update themselves.

> Nope, your port installs into ${PREFIX}/.., so put it into
> ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d
>
> >> All the other boinc data lives in /var/db/boinc (so setiathome, or
> >> seti_boinc as I should probably call it, gets installed to
> >> /var/db/boinc/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu).
>
> Hmmm... that may be a misunderstanding on my side, but you shouldn't
> *install* stuff there. The port can keep it's (generated) data in this
> location, though.

Either I forget using /var/db entirely, or I install stuff there.  One or
the other.

Here is how it gets difficult: setiathome -must- install itself
to the boinc datadir, and setiathome isn't the only port that'll use
boinc.  So, if I'm going to abandon sticking stuff on install into
/var/db, I must abandon sticking stuff there entirely.

(Ok.  I'm not entirely truthful with the above.  I could install
everything under the normal ${PREFIX} and use scripts and magic pixie dust
to make data work under /var/db, but I'd rather not complicate it)

So anyhow, I guess everything gets to go into the default ${PREFIX}.  This
-does- simplify the issue I was having with the rc.d script on one part of
the system and the rest.

I hope that made sense.

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)