UID conflict: Both database/firebird and net/quagga apeear to use UID 90

Pete Fritchman petef at absolutbsd.org
Mon Jan 12 08:34:55 PST 2004

* Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:48:32 CST - Tillman Hodgson:
| This makes using devel/fpc (which has firebird as a dependency) on a box
| running quagga rather interesting.
|
| What's the standard way to handle cases like this? I thought of filing a
probabably
| PR, but defining the problem seemed difficult: which port needs to
| migrate? To what UID? How will the existing installations handle the
| change?

Well, someone has to change :-)  I'd say whoever had the UID first gets
to keep it.  It's really up to the two maintainers (cc:'d).  Whatever the
result, the UID chosen should be documented here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-uid.html

If we keep all the UIDs documented there, we should'd have the problem of
people adding a new port with a duplicate UID.  I'm sure there are a ton
of ports that add users with UIDs that are _not_ documented there; we
should probably fix that as we come across them.

--pete