samba-devel and samba-libsmbclient conflict

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Tue Jan 20 15:41:32 PST 2004

I'm sorry, but either I was unclear or you didn't read my message
completely.  Let me try to be more exact:

1) I have samba-devel installed.  I mentioned I need it and thus have it
working.

2) devel/gnomevfs-extras requires smbclient.0.  This is not provided by
samba-devel (samba-3.0.0_1,1).  It is no where to be found in the
+CONTENTS.

3) Attempting to install gnomevfs-extras with samba-devel installed will
cause net/samba-libsmbclient to be installed.  At least, it will attempt
to install it.  It will fail:

===>  samba-libsmbclient-3.0.0 conflicts with installed package(s):
      samba-3.0.0_1,1
      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/samba-libsmbclient.
===>   Returning to build of gnomevfs-extras-0.99.11
Error: shared library "smbclient.0" does not exist
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gnomevfs-extras.

Please do not tell me this works and how I should install it without
first attempting to install it yourself and it works.  I know it is not
working and I told you why in my first post.

Thanks,
Sean

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:48, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
> As far as you get samba-devel, you wouldn't need samba-libsmbclient at
> all. Libsmbclient declared as library dependency in the gnomevfs-extras,
> so it'll first check for existence of the library and if it is present,
> wouldn't try to install corresponding port.
>
> I can guess(you didn't provide details of your setup) that you have
> already installed libsmbclient port and fail to install samba-devel
> at the top of it.
>
> In this case portupgrade is the best assistant. Just forcly delete
> samba-libsmbclient with 'pkg_delete -f', portinstall samba-devel and run
> pkdb -F to fix dependencies. At this point your gnomevfs-extras will
> stars to depend from samba-devel instead of libsmbclient.
>
> Hope, that helps.
>
> WBR,
>     Timur Bakeyev.
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:54:02AM -0800, Sean McNeil wrote:
> > What you say might be true, but attempt to install both and you will see
> > that portupgrade will not let you and that gnomevfs-extras-0.99.11
> > requires samba-libsmbclient.

> > > I don't see any explicit requirements of libsmbclient in the nautilis
> > > port. As for the library itself, samba-devel installs it as well(it's a
> > > part of the samba-3.0.0 package). So, port is right - you don't need
> > > samba-libsmbclient when you have samba-devel installed.
> > >
> > > WBR,
> > >     Timur.
> > --
> > Sean