HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Tue Jan 20 10:00:37 PST 2004

Sergei Kolobov wrote:

> On 2004-01-20 at 16:14 +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>Marius Strobl wrote:
>>
>>>LATEST_LINK on the other hand per default includes PKGNAMESUFFIX so one
>>>would end up with different OPTIONSFILEs for ports which add PKGNAMESUFFIX
>>>based on optional features, think of all the ports that optionally can
>>>be built with support for GNOME and then define "-gnome" as PKGNAMESUFFIX,
>>>so OPTIONSFILE wouldn't be unique per port and defeat its purpose.
>
> Forget about LATEST_LINK as the name is confusing.
> PKGBASE is the thing (as in eik's latest patch) and it includes
> both PKGNAMEPREFIX *and* PKGNAMESUFFIX. IMHO, that's enough to solve
> most (if not all) clash issues.

I agree, the name is confusing. But most ports strive to keep LATEST_LINK
unique, which is not the case for PKGBASE, and otherwise we have just another
variable to take care of.

LATEST_LINK was designed to be independend of the version number and make all
packages coexist in one directory, despite overlapping PORTNAMEs or PKGBASEs,
so it is exactly what we want. What we don't want if the name 'LATEST_LINK',
I agree to that. UNIQUENAME would have been more versatile, but nobody though
of that as this variable was introduced.