HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Tue Jan 20 07:06:59 PST 2004

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 02:59:39PM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>Eivind Eklund wrote:
>>
>>>improvement).  And I thought it was supposed to be unique, while it seems
>>>it isn't.  That said, I think the name LATEST_LINK should be changed
>>>(possibly
>>>not right now) if LATEST_LINK is to be used this way.
>>>
>>>Also, I don't see why LATEST_LINK would always be unique - instead, it
>>>looks to
>>>me as if there could be conflicts between different ports on this (while I
>>>thought
>>>we defined that there shouldn't be for PORTNAME).
>>
>>The problem with the current solution is that renaming OPTIONSFILE is not
>>easy, because ${PORT_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME} is somewhat hardcoded in bsd.port.mk
>>now. I can change PORT_DBDIR, but have to accept ${PORT_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME},
>>which is bad. Perhaps we should have
>>OPTIONSFILE?=${PORT_DBDIR}/${LATEST_LINK}.options,
>>which is easier to change.
>
> I don't think this particular name is usable right now - we "need" something
> that falls back to ${PORT_DBDIR}/${PORTNAME}, as the OPTIONS system is now
> in production, ports have started to use it[1], and people will have started
> storing options in just a few hours.  Unless we can resolve this within
> those few hours, we need to have the same ultimate fallback.
>
> [1] Well, only security/snort so far, so I'm going to ask the committer to
>     back that out until the present hoopla is sorted out.

I.e. in snort: $PORTNAME = $LATEST_LINK = "snort"

>>LATEST_LINK should be unique for each package, and I guess if two ports
>>have the same LATEST_LINK they CONFLICT anyway.
>
> Whether they conflict is really immaterial - they shouldn't share options.

I agree..

>>But I don't care if we use LATEST_LINK or something else, as long as it
>>is easily changeable in the case of conflicts.
>
> PORTNAME?  ;-)

How about having something like
OPTIONSDIR?=${PORT_DBDIR}/${LATEST_LINK}

this should be compatible for the few ports that use OPTIONS now, is easily
changeable in case of conflicts and does The Right Thing in most cases.
LATEST_LIST is unique for 9860 ports, the most prominent example where this
isn't the case being the various jdk's. Other ports like mysql-*, postfix,
staroffice and cyrus-imapd should be fixed anyway.

-Oliver