HEADS UP: New bsd.*.mk changes

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 20 01:42:25 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 04:38, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Type: FEATURE
> >
> > Title: Add new command macros to bsd.port.mk
> >
> > Affects: bsd.port.mk

> > bsd.port.mk: BRANDELF => /usr/bin/brandelf, CPIO => /usr/bin/cpio,
> > DIALOG => /usr/bin/dialog, OBJCOPY => /usr/bin/objcopy, PASTE =>
> > /usr/bin/paste, PAX => /bin/pax, PRINTF => /usr/bin/printf, SORT =>
> > /usr/bin/sort, UNZIP_CMD => /usr/bin/unzip or ${LOCALBASE}/bin/unzip.
> >

> > PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=59058
> >
> > Submitted by: eik
>
> I actually submitted a patch for CPIO ages ago, along with a few
> others which still haven't been committed (see attached patch).

I did a general call for patches over a week ago.  If you had things you
wanted tested, that was the time to bring them up.

>   The
> perl part of the patch is especially important and should have been
> committed before the 5.2-RELEASE package builds.  Perl 5.6.1 is so old
> it's nearly useless, and installing a package with a dependency on
> Perl 5.6.1 will clobber Perl 5.8.2 without warning if it's installed.

This was discussed, but I think the Perl maintainer, tobez, didn't think
5.8.2 was ready.  I'm certainly all for doing this, but I don't want to
disrupt working ports.  If tobez agrees, this should be something we
will definitely test on the next experimental patches build.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome