FreeBSD Port: jakarta-tomcat5-5.0.16

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Fri Jan 16 07:00:31 PST 2004

I think a new feature could be added to the bsd.{foo}.mk, sometimes a port
can run with a minimum version of a certain "environment"-ish port, e.g.,
tomcat5 runs on JDK 1.3+, however, it may be best working with JDK 1.4.
(Just take these as example, I don't mean tomcat5 will or will not work best
with JDK 1.3 or 1.4, though.)

With this in consideration, I'd proposal some knob like USE_JAVA_PREFER= 1.4
and this will cause the port to automatically install JDK 1.4 if there's no
JDK installed. Also, this should apply to other ports like perl, php, etc.

Just my own 0.02 Yuan :)

Cheers,
Xin LI