MANUAL_FETCH

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Jan 14 17:10:41 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:57:26AM +0100, Simon Barner wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
> > It would be nice if there were an option within this to specify a local
> > source for manually fetched distfiles so that you could fetch the file
> > once for several machines and have it usable in an automated way.  I'm
> > thinking of something like:
> >
> > MASTER_SITE_MANUAL
>
> Are you sure that this will not raise any legal issues? Sometimes, the
> conditions you have to accept for software, that needs to be manually
> fetched, are rather restrictive.
>
> Of course, in practice, nobody will go through the fetch procedure N
> times for her/his N machines, but I am not sure about the legal
> consequences if such a feature were built into FreeBSD's ports collection.

I can't see anyone vaguly reasionable getting upset about it.  By
default nothing happens since the default value of MASTER_SITE_MANUAL
would be have to be "". The user has to create a collection of files
and point the ports system at them.  Any violations of the distribution
rules were caused entierly by the user.  They need to insure that the
collection is only accessable to people to whom they can redistribute
its contents (which depends on the specific licenses, but generally
themselves or the company they work for.)

-- Brooks