MANUAL_FETCH

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Tue Jan 13 17:18:44 PST 2004

> - Introduce generic support in bsd.port.mk that will allow ports to use one
> (or at least few) variables to indicate a manual fetch is required.
>
> I'm not a Makefile-guru, but I could imagine something like this:
>
> MANUAL_FETCH=	YES

I would like to share this idea that popped into my mind while I read
your post:

Every port that needs a manual fetch will direct the user to an external
site. So what about something like this:

mandatory:
MANUAL_FETCH_SITE=         http://www.manual/fetch/...
MANUAL_FETCH_DISTFILES=    file1 \
                           file2

optional:
MANUAL_FETCH_DISTDIR=      <subdir in ${DISTDIR}>

which will be used by bsd.port.mk to generate a nice message that asks
the user to visit that site and to save those files to ${DISTDIR}.

I could also imagine an optional file that contains further
instructions, e.g. pkg-mf-msg

Simon