follow-up Re: I'm having an awful time updating gdm2 and other ports

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 6 10:11:26 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 12:52, UDSD387 wrote:
> Well that is my _basic_ question in all this -- ;)
> How do we find out what "all Perl modules" are needed when we change 'use.ports' from 'system' to 'port'?
> And I'm only needing the pieces that are used by portupgrade (i.e. config/make scripts etc.).

Any time you run "use.perl", do "env FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=1 portupgrade -f
p5-\*".

(I consider the need for the FORCE_PKG_REGISTER thing a bug, but don't
know how to get around it.  The problem appears to be that portupgrade
doesn't actually upgrade them in dependency order, so the upgrade tends
to lose when some module forces install of another, which discovers that
it's "already installed" and aborts.)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon univ.         KF8NH