readline port weirdness

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 3 12:56:31 PST 2004

[Note, I'm following up to -ports, where this should have been posted.]

Frank Laszlo wrote:
> I'm trying to patch the readline port to support READLINE_OVERWRITE_BASE

A while back, when I was putting more serious work into this, I
suggested that there would be value to all of us who are working on this
settling on a convention for the variable names. I think that there
would be value in something like <FOO>_${PORTNAME} as the convention,
and chose PORT_REPLACES_BASE_${PORTNAME} as the convention for the bind
ports. This is of course up to you.

> as suggested by Edwin. im running into a bit of a snag with info files.
> Here is what I have in the Makefile
>
> .if defined(READLINE_OVERWRITE_BASE)
> PREFIX= /usr
> MANPREFIX=      ${PREFIX}/share

This isn't necessary. I asked for MANPREFIX to be added to MAKE_ENV a
while back for just this purpose. I don't do a lot of work with info
files, but it sounds like this might be a useful addition as well.

> INFOPREFIX=     ${PREFIX}/share
> CONFIGURE_ARGS=        --mandir=${MANPREFIX}/man
> --infodir=${INFOPREFIX}/info
> .endif
> the correct location for info files should be /usr/share/info (am I
> wrong?) but when i do a make install for this port I get the following
> errors:
>
> ls: /usr/info/readline.info*: No such file or directory
> ls: /usr/info/rluserman.info*: No such file or directory
> ls: /usr/info/history.info*: No such file or directory
>
> After reading through bsd.port.mk I found this:
>
> .for i in ${INFO}
>        @${ECHO_CMD} "@unexec install-info --delete %D/info/$i.info
> %D/info/dir" \
>                >> ${TMPPLIST}
>        @${LS} ${PREFIX}/info/$i.info* | ${SED} -e s:${PREFIX}/::g >>
> ${TMPPLIST}
>        @${ECHO_CMD} "@exec install-info %D/info/$i.info %D/info/dir" \
>                >> ${TMPPLIST}
> .endfor
>
> note the line starting with @${LS} it looks it PREFIX/info. which is my
> case would be /usr/info (which is wrong) is there any reason this
> shouldnt be something like ${INFOPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? where
> INFOPREFIX=${PREFIX}/info
> This would allow for ports to set the variable without having to write a
> custom installation script for allow for /usr/share/info. any ideas? Thanks

I think your assessment is correct.

Doug