gettext / gettext-old exclusion

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Feb 1 04:15:04 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 09:45:33AM +0100, Jan Stocker wrote:
> Hi boys n girls,
>
> to make gettext and gettext-old conflicting kills half of the ports-
> tree. if you cant install gettext-old you cant install glib20.... you
> can think whats the result. If you cant install gettext the same for
> other ports.... if the new version creates a conflict we must downgrade
> or better deconflict em !
>
> THIS IS REALLY AN URGENT ISSUE !!!!

There are *NO* ports that depend on devel/gettext, so it is not really
much of an issue.
The conflict between devel/gettext and devel/gettext-old should kill
exactly *zero* percent of the ports tree.

The problems that people have had has usually been because they tried
to update their installed ports (that were installed before gettext-old
was created) and in the process got the dependencies screwed up
somehow.  This is problem with the updating process used, not with the
ports tree itself.

If you install everything from scratch there are no problems.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se