OT - Filter for Thunderbird

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Sun Dec 19 05:22:25 PST 2004

On Sunday 19 December 2004 12:31 am, Erich Dollansky
<oceanare at pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Colin J. Raven wrote:
> >>
> >> If I failed to articulate that - then it's my fault.
> >
> > I hope I'm understanding...you mean apply a filter to *existing*
> > mail?? I'm not even sure it's possible in T/Bird.
>
> Mozilla & Co. are receiving all e-mail into an "inbox". The filters
> are then applied onto the "inbox". This limits Mozilla & Co. in
> certain ways.
>
> > For the future though.................
>
> Your idea makes sense in many ways. Take only this mailing list as an
> example.
>
> It is not a problem to do this in general, just Mozilla & Co. do not
> provide it. I tried recently to setup a filter which also needed
> access to other mails.
>
> I have to stick to Mozilla & Co. as I move my mails between FreeBSD
> and Windows.

If you really wanted you could setup something like fetchmail and
procmail to fetch and filter into folders (I prefer getmail instead of
fetchmail, YMMV), or trash dupes or whatever, then use whatever client
you like to read it and hand it off to your SMTP. Of course, this does
require that you have a server running all the time, but you could even
expand on it and use something like IMAP if you wanted, so that you can
easily access your mail plus all your folders from pretty much
anywhere.

- jt