[dspam-users] thanks for dspam, my experiences on FreeBSD, suggestions

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Apr 29 13:21:57 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 10:46:46AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:30:10 -0700
> Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 09:32:20AM +0300, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> > 	Hope I am not highjacking this thread (at least not totally),
> > 	but is there any summary of things-to-do to get dspam running?
> > 	to get it in 'learn' mode??  No far I have created a list of
> > 	trusted users/groups.  Now what?
>
> Without more details, we cannot help you.
>
> Dspam's documentation should be rewrote, and it is on my to do list, but
> it will happen for the 3.x.

		Hopefully your future documentation can give
		explicit mysql cmds as examples of linking
		dspam to mysql. I do have mysql setup for three
		message boards, but am not sure of how to
		configure mysql to work with dspam.

		I just sent test mails to my test acccount,
		ran dspam_stats against it, and had this result:

root at tao:# dspam_stats test1
Could not init context: No such file or directory

		For people with little mysql || database bg,
		I hope your future doc will be more tutorial-like.
		e.g:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 4.XY.ZA

mysql> create database dspamdb;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant all on dspamdb.* to dspamdb_user at localhost identified by 'foo234';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

.
.  << whatever else >>
.

mysql> quit
Bye

		When the db config gets involves with tables-- well,
		that's over my head a bit.  Examples are worth their
		weight in gold, AFAIC.

> > 	Re a -devel port, my experience with most of the devel suites
> > 	is that they are risky (to put it politely:).  I would advise
> > 	anybody who installs a -devel port of anything to have the
> > 	stable/tested port around....
>
> Agree. For example the 3.x showed, where dspam has been rewrote, showed
> some regressions.
>
> But since all new features are added on the devel branch and some people
> could make good use of them, this -devel port will help them. And it
> would give a chance for changes to be easily tested on FreeBSD before
> they are in the stable release. The bug in my PR is happening only on
> FreeBSD (it seems that our strsep(3) slightly differs from those on some
> linux, despite the their claim that it is from bsd).

	Have you ever checked our Lars Wirzenius' publib string
	functions?  When I've stubbed my toe on Unix-compat problems
	as you'rehaving wth strsep(), I've resolved the issue by
	including the function (from wherever) in my code. Putting
	the FBSD strsep() code in there --- or something equally
	fuctional from publib --- might work.  Just a thought.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix