Why is KDE installing in LOCALBASE; not X11BASE?

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:49:47 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 17:36, David Xu wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 13:50, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > On Monday 22 September 2003 08:39, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> > > I just found out that KDE and KDE apps install in the /usr/local
> > > instead /usr/X11R6, so I am wondering why is that? I am just curious
> > > and I personal will put them in /usr/X11R6..
> >
> > From hier(7):
> >
> > /usr/
> >     local/    local executables, libraries, etc.  Also used as the
> >               default destination for the FreeBSD ports framework.
> >               Within local/, the general layout sketched out by hier
> >               for /usr should be used.  Exceptions are the man
> >               directory (directly under local/ rather than under
> >               local/share/), ports documentation (in
> >               share/doc/<port>/), and /usr/local/etc (mimics /etc).
> >
> >     X11R6/    X11R6 distribution executables, libraries, etc
> >                         (optional).
> >               bin/      X11R6 binaries (servers, utilities, local
> >                         packages/ports).
> >               etc/      X11R6 configuration files and scripts.
> >               include/  X11R6 include files.
> >               lib/      X11R6 libraries.
> >               man/      X11R6 manual pages.
> >               share/    architecture-independent files.
> >
> > So, from this, it's arguable where they should go.
> >
> > KDE isn't part of X11R6, so it should go in /usr/local/, as should
> > Gnome, Windowmaker etc.
> >
> > Of course, you can argue that it is tightly integrated with X, so should
> > go under /usr/X11R6.
> >
> > It's all down to your interpretation of the above segment of hier(7)
> > really.
> >
> > Me? I don't care, and I'm not going to bikeshed the issue.
> >
> > A.
>
> Sorry for a bit OT, but why is Trolltech QT installed into /usr/X11R6 ?
> QT obviously does not belong to X11 distribution, and just a third paty
> widget library. Things are messed up.

And all of gtk+ and gnome is also in /usr/X11R6 afaik.  However, there's
always going to be blurring.  For example, fontconfig and expat are both
distributed with XFree86 and neither one depends on libX11, but
fontconfig is in /usr/X11R6 and expat is in /usr/local.  Both of them
have been taken out of our compiling/installing of the XFree86
distribution so we can have separate ports of them.  Where should they
go then?  If XFree86 starts distributing something that we had already
packaged, should it get moved from its previous location in /usr/local
to /usr/X11R6?  This may happen a few more times with some new libraries
being written by XFree86-associated folks.

Basically, this is a bikeshed I don't want to mess with, and I
personally hope nobody else messes with.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org