How to patch and fix a broken port?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Mon Sep 22 00:31:55 PDT 2003

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:

> Rob Lahaye wrote:
>>
>> So what to do with broken ports like that?
>

> Fill a PR and send it with send-pr(1). Don't forget Cc a port
> maintainer. After a while (a week or more) if the maintainer doesn't
> answer and doesn't fix the port ask here to commit your patch with "port
> maintainer timeout" reason.
>
> Learn about PR from the handbook, porter's handbook and examples from
> GNATS database (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi).
>
> Fill send-pr tidy and be sure you test the patch applying.

OK, I checked out the send-pr man pages:
SYNOPSIS
       send-pr [ site ] [ -f problem-report ] [ -t mail-address ]
               [ -P ] [ -L ] [ -s severity ] [ -V ]
               [ --version ] [ -c address ] [ -a file ]

There's lots of talking about 'category' in the man pages, but where
does that go into the send-pr command line? Or is 'category' the same
as 'site'? If so, why using two different words for the same thing !?!

Would this, for example do:

send-pr ports -f "myComplaint.txt" -s "Critical problems" \
	-a "myPatch.diff" -c "theMaintainer at somewhere.org"

The man pages say that the 'site' value is defined in aliases.
But I have nothing like that in my aliases file.
Also, the man pages do not provide enough info on values for 'severity'.

Regards,
Rob.