FreeBSD Port: libxml2-2.5.11

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Sat Sep 20 19:48:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:46:55 -0400
Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Attempted to upgrade port libxml2 and was unsuccessful using
> "portupgrade" and the "make all" function. Received messages from
> various mirror sites indicating that "...local modification time does
> not match remote."
>
> Dependent/required ports also unable to be updated.

This is due to fetch command's firm belief that as long as filenames are
same, the attributes (filedates only ?) must be same.

I could not find the way to turn off this belief, and had been continually
meeting fetch troubles when upgrading version number free ports such as
lang/nawk and japanese/xpdf.

> Is this a problem that I can correct?

You must have accidentally created a file with the same name, which
won't have expected md5. You just need remove the file.

I'm now using

FETCH_CMD	= /usr/bin/ftp

which gives me more familiar behavior. And awaiting wrong thing(s) happen.

> Thanks much.

The port system seems to strongly prefer fetch over ftp.
What are the expected wrong things with ftp ?

> Bob Perry

horio shoichi