Broken portstree?

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Fri Oct 24 10:04:46 PDT 2003

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> On Friday 24 October 2003 17:21, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
>>USE_GNOME=	NO
>>in /etc/make.conf.
>
> Should I comment it out/remove it? [...]
>
> And on a sidenote... why does this happen (eg... mod_php4 hasn't anything to
> do with gnome?).

Newer *ever* set USE_* in /etc/make.conf or elsewhere. User settable options
are WITH_* and WITHOUT_*

User => Port:
WITH_*, WITHOUT_*

Port => bsd.port.mk
USE_*, WANT_*

In bsd.gnome.mk, we have:

User => Port:
WITH_*, WITHOUT_*

Port => bsd.port.mk
WANT_*

bsd.port.mk => Port
HAVE_*

Port => bsd.port.mk
USE_*

It is really a little bit more complicated than that, especially PORTSDIR,
WRKDIRPREFIX, PREFIX etc are user-settable, but it is supposed to work that
way, and every port that has USE_* as an user-settable option should be
filed a bug report.

I'm not exactly sure if it is ok to communicate User => bsd.port.mk via
WITH_*, though. It should be converted to WANT_*.