Broken portstree?

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 24 11:34:55 PDT 2003

>> (10.24.2003 @ 1304 PST): Oliver Eikemeier said, in 1.2K: <<
> Newer *ever* set USE_* in /etc/make.conf or elsewhere. User settable options
> are WITH_* and WITHOUT_*
>
> every port that has USE_* as an user-settable option should be
> filed a bug report.
>> end of "Re: Broken portstree?" from Oliver Eikemeier <<

I agree. I think that USE_ would have been better left for user-defines,
but that's not how history panned out.

USE_* should be reserved for ports to define, and ports should not have
user-tunable options that begin with USE_ (or, in the ridiculous manner
of q3server-ra3 and utserver-to, DONT_USE_). Port should have all
user-definable settings as WITH_* and WITHOUT_*, and all ports that have
USE_ should be changed. Ermmn, IMO that is.

Here is a list of ports that have user-tunable options that begin with
USE_. Note that this is a really quick and dirty list, and probably has
errors.

# Adam

cad/gmsh
	USE_TRIANGLE