Request information from Perl port gurus

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 8 12:11:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:47:38PM -0400, Trevor S. Cornpropst wrote:

> 1. Is there an exemplary Perl port I could use for reference as the right way
> to do it? There seems to be several different approaches.

There's no real "reference" port, but a quick look at my ports shows
that finance/p5-Business-OnlinePayment-2CheckOut shows most things. It
even has a post-patch to fix some 5.005_03 issues to confuse a new
porter :-)

> 2. During my testing of the port I discovered that a pure Perl type of module
> install (perl Makefile.PL ... make ... make test ... make install) registered
> the package with the FreeBSD package database. This is really cool and makes
> life much easier. Is there a preferred method for creating Perl ports (i.e.
> the standard FreeBSD ports way or BSDPAN)?

PERL_CONFIGURE should take care of all of these concerns.

If you want, you're welcome to send your port directly to me and I'll review and
give you some hints.

Cheers,
-erwin

--