Umm.. linux_base 7 default + linux_devtools 8 default conflict?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 10:33:37 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:07:24 -0500 (EST), Trevor Johnson <trevor at jpj.net>
wrote:

> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> I just installed linux_mesa3 (had to unbroke it by tweak) and that got
>> me
>> noticed something strange. I am not sure if it makes any sense by
>> default,
>> check here:
>>
>> emulators/linux_base -> 7
>> devel/linux_devtools -> 8, but it depends on emulators/linux_base8..
>>
>> Shouldn't either one of it change to emulators/linux_base be 8 by
>> default
>> or devel/linux_devtools be 7 by default?
>
> Well, there's no linux_devtools-8 because I didn't see the need to ask
> for
> a repo copy.  The history I wanted was already in the removed
> linux_devtools port.
>
> These combinations should work:
>
> - linux_devtools-6 and linux_base-6
> - linux_devtools-7 and linux_base
> - linux_devtools and linux_base-8

This is what don't make any sense to me. Maybe, it's just me..

> Once you choose to install one of the linux_devtools ports, it should
> bring in the proper linux_base port as a dependency, or warn you of the
> conflict if you already have another linux_base installed.  If I
> understand you, you only find the naming confusing, right?

Yes, I understand above but I think linux_devtools and linux_base name
should be same to avoid the confuse of what's default linux emulator
version? Current, the default of Linux emulator is version 7 but the
linux_devtools default is 8. So, I think it should be like this:

- linux_devtools-6 and linux_base-6
- linux_devtools and linux_base
- linux_devtools-8 and linux_base-8

or