xawtv, ioctl_bt848 header and bento

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Jun 9 20:21:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:50:36AM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still getting a compile-error log for xawtv for FreeBSD 4/alpha, and
> I'm a bit clueless why.
> In 4 there we have no ioctl_bt858.h for non ix86 systems. So there is no
> /usr/src/sys/alpha/include/ioctl_bt848, and thats why there is no
> /usr/include/machine/ioctl_bt848.h. But that header file is essentially
> needed to compile xawtv. Thats why I put
>
> .if !exists(/usr/include/machine/ioctl_bt848.h)
> BROKEN=		No ioctl_bt848.h on this architecture
> .endif
>
> into the Makefile. But as the actuall bento log
> (http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/alpha-4-latest/xawtv-3.88.log) shows
> me, the port still does not "broke" in the right way. I tried it for my
> self on a 4/alpha system and I got what I expected to get:

Well, for starters, bento still builds packages that are marked BROKEN
to test that assumption.  You want NOT_FOR_ARCHS/ONLY_FOR_ARCHS or
IGNORE to avoid the build entirely.

I suspect your problem is related to testing for a specific file,
instead of testing based on ${ARCH} and ${OSVERSION} for systems that
are known to be broken.  Testing for the existence/non-existence of a
file can often cause problems because bento is a distributed build
system, so what holds true for the client build environment (alpha 4.x
in this case) is not true on bento itself (an i386 5.x machine).

Kris