licencing problem with linux_base ports?

Trevor Johnson trevor at jpj.net
Thu Jul 3 09:51:06 PDT 2003

Christopher Rosado wrote:

> Why?  The linux_base ports fetch the relevant RPMs from Redhat mirrors, not
> FreeBSD servers, AFAICT.
[...]
> There's no violation of the GPL here by the ports tree, as it merely downloads
> the files needed by the linuxulator rather than distributing them.

Right, there's no violation when a user downloads the files from the
master sites and installs them (this can still be done if the port is
marked RESTRICTED).  What I was talking about was when the packages and/or
distfiles are made available on CD-ROMs or from ftp.FreeBSD.org.  For the
latter, I suppose we could just have a pkg-message saying where the SRPMs
may be found.  What about the former, the CD-ROMs?
--
Trevor Johnson