licencing problem with linux_base ports?

Christopher Rosado chris at tophnet.net
Thu Jul 3 09:01:07 PDT 2003

On Thursday 03 July 2003 05:19 am, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> The distfiles for these are pre-compiled binaries, some of which are
> licenced under the GNU GPL.  The license says we need to do one of:

	[snip]

> AFAIK we do none of these.  The first solutions that come to mind are to
> mark these ports RESTRICTED or to arrange for the SRPM files (or their
> contents) to be packaged along with the binaries (perhaps with a knob to
> disable their packaging).  Neither of these seems very appealing.

Why?  The linux_base ports fetch the relevant RPMs from Redhat mirrors, not
FreeBSD servers, AFAICT.

A reading of the Makefiles for linux_base and linux_base-6 shows that the
ports use $MASTER_SITE_REDHAT_LINUX, which according to
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.sites.mk is a set of Redhat mirrors.

There's no violation of the GPL here by the ports tree, as it merely downloads
the files needed by the linuxulator rather than distributing them.

--
Christopher Rosado