Upgrade of itcl breaks tkdesk

Andy Sparrow spadger at best.com
Sun Dec 14 18:31:02 PST 2003

(jchris, maintainer of 'tkdesk' added to Cc: list)

> > Dear port maintainers,
> >
> > the update of itcl to tcl84 totally breaks tkdesk!
> >
> > tkdesk at the moment only builds and runs with tk/tcl8.3, and itcl is
> > now on tcl8.4.
> >
> > This mix leads to a core when tkdesk is starting.
> >
> > Please can you fix this? It costs me over an hour to track this down.
>
> I backed out lsat update of itcl, sorry for inconvenience.
> Are there any chances that tkdesk will get working with tk84?

I'll have time to take a look at it at the end of next week, if no-one
gets to it first. No promises, because I think I know what I'm going to
find (namely that it needs more work than I'm prepared to put in, as I
don't use it anymore).

> I noticed there wasn't new release of it for nearly 5 years.

Yes. Some patches in FreeBSD which make 'tkdesk' work with Tcl/Tk 8.3
aren't yet incorporated into the source distro, despite originating from

the tkdesk mailing list originally. I saw no activity on SourceForge
last time I looked.

There was a similar issue with the recent BLT version bump (solved by
using the internal, obsolete, BLT in the tkdesk source tree), and I seem

to recall that tkdesk also needs a update to stay in line with current
tcl/tk standards, not just janking it up through versions (which has
mostly worked from 8.1).

It might be possible to use the same workaround for 'itcl' as was done
for BLT, but this is getting uglier and uglier, and simply staving off
the inevitable.

Pav, thanks for your hard work to update 'itcl' and keep it up-to-date
(not to mention those working on the Tcl/Tk updates).

It's obviously not my decision to take, but I regret to say that I tend
to the view that it is probably best for -ports as a whole to update
'itcl' to 8.4 if the only thing holding it back is the 'tkdesk' port.

This would leave 'tkdesk' broken, to be updated as/when possible. I
might be mistaken, but I don't think it's worked on Linux since they
went to 8.3 - and that *BSD is the only place where 'tkdesk' has worked
for quite some time.

Regards,

AS