Want to create/maintain a port

Sergey Matveychuk sem at ciam.ru
Tue Dec 2 22:59:22 PST 2003

Clement Laforet wrote:
>>>2. don't be scared to take over maintainership even if you don't
>>>modify the port
>>
>>I'd be careful with that. There's a whole lot of maintainers who
>>don't. Maintainership is a responsibility, not just a title.
>

> You're right... but it quite hard to evaluate how involved a contributor
> is. We should encourage people to do "worthless" works first(like
> cleaning orphaned port) before assuming maintainership/submitting new ports.
> OTOH, we have maintainers who don't drop their maintainership when they
> can't find time/motivation to assume it.

Don't forget how long to wait for maintainer timeout. So if he wants to
take a port just for title, it'll be better to have no maintainer there.

2Vincent: Take a port if you really ready work with it. Remember, users
want port to be worked, bugfixed, patched etc. without regard to your
problems and free time. So if you take a port you take a responsibility
for it. Be ready to sacrifice.

---
Sem.