Mplayer (mencoder) libavcodec missing mpeg2video codec ?

Randy Pratt rpratt1950 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 2 11:15:35 PST 2003

I've seen mencoder examples specifying the mpeg2video codec for lavc
but it doesn't seem to be working.:

	-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:......

I end up with "Cannot find codec 'mpeg2video' in libavcodec..."

I've built mplayer with almost all of the options available in its
Makefile so I don't think I'm missing something there.

Inspection of the mplayer sources indeed show that its not included in
/usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/work/MPlayer-0.92/libavcodec .

I have ffmpeg installed and it has the mpeg2video codecs.  The mencoder
libavcodec/Makefile seems to have an option for BUILD_SHARED but I've
not found a way to turn that on.

I've searched the archives and almost nothing turns up.  I've also
perused the mplayer mailing lists and there are lots of references
to mpeg2video there but nothing with regards to the FreeBSD port.

Has anyone been successful in using the mpeg2video codec with mencoder?
Is there any way to have mplayer use the ffmpeg libavcodec instead of
the one provided with mplayer?

Thanks,

Randy