depend on feature (was: Apache dependence)

Sergey Matveychuk sem at ciam.ru
Mon Aug 18 18:31:05 PDT 2003

We can implement depending on a FEATURE (common idea of lev at freebsd.org
concretized by me):
Some port climes itself as feature provider by setting FEATURE variable.
E.g. FEATURE=apache
This feature save with port or separately in PKG_DBDIR.

A port depend on this feature claims it with *_DEPENDS.
E.g. BUILD_DEPENDS=apache
We can recognize it with ":dir" part absent. The port system looks for
this feature, found appropriated port and records dependency information
there.

Merits is obvious.
Fully backward compatible.
Cost: need patch pkg_install and bsd.port.mk.

What do you think?

----
Sem.