sdl11-config / sdl-config

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Aug 12 17:04:26 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > That won't help me. I'm not talking about one of the ports, but of more
> > > generic software. For SDL in Blender we use things like :
> > >
> > >     sdl-config --prefix
> > >     sdl-config --libs
> > >     sdl-config --cflags
> > >
> > > for all target platforms (around 10), except this doesn't work on
> > > FreeBSD because of the version number in the name ... hence my symlink
> > > proposal; it leaves sdl11-config as is for all ports to use, and still
> > > offers non-ports software a reasonable default. If both sdl11 and say
> > > sdl12 were installed I don't even care to which one it would point, if I
> > > did I would be using sdl11-config. Ok, enough. what do you think now ?
> >
> > As I already said, patch the port to use ${SDL_CONFIG} instead of a
> > hard-coded binary name.
>
> Did you read what I wrote ? I am not talking about a port, so
> ${SDL_CONFIG} won't work for me. SDL made sdl-config and I think that
> should be available for non-port software.

And I have said earlier in this thread, that approach breaks down when
there are more than one version of SDL installed on the system.  You
may not have had to deal with this kind of upgrade before, but we have
(sdl10 -> sdl11), and it's a pain in the ass because all sorts of
ports typically break when built with the new version, so there has to
be a simple mechanism in place to allow them to build with the old
one.

Preparing for it in advance by not hard-wiring things to only work
with a single concurrent SDL installation is the correct approach for
the long run.  Otherwise, we'd just have to introduce it (again) the
next time a major SDL update comes out and all the ports that refer to
the sdl-config -> sdl13-config symlink fail to build.

Vendor software should be taught to do the following:

SDL_CONFIG?=sdl-config

foo:
	...${SDL_CONFIG} --libs...

So it works in the default SDL case as well as on FreeBSD.

At this point I think I've said everything I need to say about this
issue.

Kris