sdl11-config / sdl-config

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue Aug 12 15:13:37 PDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > That won't help me. I'm not talking about one of the ports, but of more
> > > generic software. For SDL in Blender we use things like :
> > >
> > >     sdl-config --prefix
> > >     sdl-config --libs
> > >     sdl-config --cflags
> > >
> > > for all target platforms (around 10), except this doesn't work on
> > > FreeBSD because of the version number in the name ... hence my symlink
> > > proposal; it leaves sdl11-config as is for all ports to use, and still
> > > offers non-ports software a reasonable default. If both sdl11 and say
> > > sdl12 were installed I don't even care to which one it would point, if I
> > > did I would be using sdl11-config. Ok, enough. what do you think now ?
> >
> > As I already said, patch the port to use ${SDL_CONFIG} instead of a
> > hard-coded binary name.
>
> Did you read what I wrote ? I am not talking about a port, so
> ${SDL_CONFIG} won't work for me. SDL made sdl-config and I think that
> should be available for non-port software.

Of course there is nothing stopping you from making that symlink
yourself, but with the experience I have with different versions
of software and their clashing[sp] naming conventions I prefer to
make sure that I use the right sdl-config and not one which was
locally available as sdl-config and doesn't work for the source-files
I have. But then, who am I?

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org