ports/50781: devel/php4 is missing

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Fri Apr 11 04:26:10 PDT 2003

Hi :)

> On Thursday 10 April 2003 01:36 pm, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:
>> And I think that lots of people are like me : asking theirself why
>> this
>> was removed ?
>
> I'm pretty sure it was removed because of the changes the PHP guys
> made in the
> 4.3.x installation process.  By default, the mod_php4 port will
> install the
> apache module *and* the CLI version of /usr/local/bin/php.  There is
> also a
> CGI version of this binary (installed as the same name), which is
> impossible
> to install via ports without editing the Makefile.  See here for more:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php
> http://groups.google.com/
> groups?selm=5c87221d.0302181422.67fc86eb%40posting.google.com

Ok I see.... :)

In fact I need 2 php :

  - CGI (or even better FastCGI one) for Caudium Webserver support (it
can be done using
    SAPI as well, but PHP Sapi with Caudium is not really stable due to
some problems with
    threaded server design and some code inside PHP that seems to don't
like threads ...

  - CLI php for local scripts that are done by some 3rd party programs
like for example cacti....

I'm not expert in PHP... (and I think I will never be one), but can we
have a www/cgi_php4 and devel/php4 that
have some differents binaries...

> Regardless, i think we should definitely have a port for the php
> standalone
> binary somewhere, since not everyone needs or wants apache.  And,
> ideally,
> i'd like to see an option in mod_php4 or a separate port so i can
> install the
> CGI version of the binary.

Yeah me too :)

> Course then someone has to decide: when to install PEAR, if the two
> separate
> binaries will have different names, what ini file(s) will they read,
> etc.

Yup...

/Xavier