INN ports deinstall config files

David Taylor davidt at yadt.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 05:18:21 PST 2003

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> David Taylor <davidt at yadt.co.uk> writes:
> > I've noticed (unfortunately) that running ``portupgrade inn'' does bad
> > things(tm) to installed config files.  They get deleted in the pkg_delete,
> > then blank files are installed by inn.
>
> pkg_delete isn't supposed to delete files that have been modified
> after the port was installed.  If it does, that's a bug.

Hmm.  I think the problem is that portupgrade calls pkg_delete with '-f',
in order to replace packages without removing all the packages depending
on it.  It'd probably be helpful if pkg_delete had seperate flags for
overriding dependancies vs. deleting modified files (and possibly anything
else -f forces).

I'm willing to attempt a patch to do either option (change the port to
install config files as *.sample/dist, or add an option to pkg_delete),
although I'm not sure of the best way to change pkg_delete without
breaking POLA.

--
David Taylor
davidt at yadt.co.uk
"The future just ain't what it used to be"