INN ports deinstall config files

Matthew Emmerton matt at gsicomp.on.ca
Tue Apr 1 08:59:01 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Taylor" <davidt at yadt.co.uk>
To: <ports at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 8:18 AM
Subject: Re: INN ports deinstall config files

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2003, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > David Taylor <davidt at yadt.co.uk> writes:
> > > I've noticed (unfortunately) that running ``portupgrade inn'' does bad
> > > things(tm) to installed config files.  They get deleted in the
pkg_delete,
> > > then blank files are installed by inn.
> >
> > pkg_delete isn't supposed to delete files that have been modified
> > after the port was installed.  If it does, that's a bug.

This wouldn't be a problem if the INN port installed sample configuration
files with "sample" extensions. That way a pkg_delete or portupgrade would
leave the local customized configurations intact.

The Apache ports do this (among many others) and is the preferred method of
installing config files, according to the Porter's Handbook.

--
Matt Emmerton