CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

Cy Schubert cy at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 30 12:56:18 UTC 2019

In message <7B9F9F37-9DCB-4B9D-BEF1-8C3092331DD0 at opnsense.org>, Franco
Fichtner
 writes:

> > On 30. Apr 2019, at 2:25 AM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com> wrote:
> >
> > As for updating, freebsd-update is mostly there to accomplish your requirem
> ent without pkgbase. Which begs the question,  if we're simply replacing free
> bsd-update and it does most of what we want why the extra effort? Unless we w
> ant to solve more than just this problem? Which BTW I think we do.
>
> There's hbsd-update, pfSense-upgrade and opnsense-update precisely
> because pkgbase was pulled ever since it's first ETA in 11.0 and
> the subsequent non-delivery.  freebsd-update is not the answer.
>
> Speaking for opnsense-update[1] specifically it's a shell script
> with a bit of bloat for handling package updates as normal and
> otherwise use base.txz and kernel.txz and arbitrary signatures
> in pkg (built upon the idea of pkg.txz.sig) to verify their signature
> directly linked to the fingerprints of the pkg repo used -- all well
> under 1000 LOC counting whitespaces for readability and battle-
> proven since 2015.
>
> My point is simply this:
>
> The sole focus on "the" pkgbase that will solve all issues and the
> unwillingness to cooperate on "pkgbase" at the same time has made the
> situation much much worse than it should have been for FreeBSD users
> and blocked the road for other types of improvements in the update
> area for a number of years now.

The purpose of pkgbase is to bring us into the 20th century.

> It's time to step up

Ahh. I've been told. I have plenty of FreeBSD projects on the go. Yet
another project will mean a more thinly spread out me and nothing will
get done. I've already stepped up to the plate -- on many fronts.

> instead of further dividing the topic so I
> want to thank Kris for his effort very much.

P.S. It doesn't help attacking someone already contributing to FreeBSD.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>