Fwd: NAT for use with OpenVPN

Morgan Wesström freebsd-database at pp.dyndns.biz
Mon Nov 11 22:15:01 UTC 2019

Phil,

I did some more testing in my own environment and you should be able to
ping the following addresses from your connected client. It probably
breaks down at some point and you need to tell me where:

10.8.0.6 (or whatever ip your vpn client receives)
10.8.0.1 (server endpoint of vpn tunnel)
192.168.1.200 (your FreeBSD LAN address)
192.168.1.1 (LAN side of your router)

Next ping test would be an address on the Internet like google.dns
(8.8.8.8).

Looking at the Netgear support forums, some people claim Netgear routers
only does NAT for the subnet on its LAN interface while others claim it
does NAT for any subnet. I checked the manual for your router but it
doesn't explicitly say anything on this matter so this is still an unknown.

We didn't discuss the client side config. I will show you mine below
with the server address obfuscated. You need to replace it with your
router WAN ip.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote ***.***.***.*** 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client1.crt
key client1.key
ns-cert-type server
verb 4

netstat -rn and ifconfig -a (ipconfig /all on Windows) from the
connected client would be useful to further track down the problem if
you can't resolve it.

P.S. You have a .201 alias on the FreeBSD machine. It shouldn't
interfere but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it and had a
reason for it.

/Morgan