Possible bug: 11.2-RELEASE guest with vtnet and PF

Kristof Provost kp at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 2 15:55:52 UTC 2018

On 2 Jul 2018, at 16:17, Kristof Provost wrote:
> Hi Jakub,
>
> On 30 Jun 2018, at 17:07, Jakub Chromy wrote:
>> I've just installed a 11.2-RELEASE guest under bhyve (hypervisor is
>> 11.1-RELEASE)... and I cant use Virtio network interface with PF:
>>
>> odine:/boot/kernel# /sbin/pfctl -n -f ~/local/tmp/pf.work
>> *pfctl: pfi_get_ifaces: Bad file descriptor*
>>
>> the file contains the following single line only:
>>
>> pass out quick on vtnet0 proto tcp from any to any keep state
>>
> I’m pretty sure this is a pf bug rather than an issue with vtnet.
>
> Does this still happen if you don’t specify ‘-n’?
>
> I suspect this might be related to r333181, but that’s included in
> CURRENT too, and I’ve not been able to reproduce this on my CURRENT
> box. I’m updating my stable/11 test VM now, but that’ll take a
> while.

Ah, I think I see the problem. I think you don’t have the pf module
loaded, which is apparently not treated as a fatal error if ‘-n’ is
specified, but the change in r333181 can’t cope with that.

We should probably fix that, but it’s not a particularly critical
problem.

Regards,
Kristof