Large scale NAT with PF - some weird problem

Milan Obuch freebsd-pf at dino.sk
Mon Jun 29 10:54:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:42:22 +0200
Ian FREISLICH <ian.freislich at capeaugusta.com> wrote:

> Milan Obuch wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:29:32 +0200
> > Daniel Hartmeier <daniel at benzedrine.ch> wrote:

> > > How are you doing ARP?
> > >
> > > You're not assigning every address on x.y.26.0/23 as an alias, are
> > > you?
> > >
> > > So who answers ARP requests of the upstream router?
> >
> > There is no ARP on routed address block.
> >
> > In cisco speak, there is just
> >
> > ip route x.y.24.0 255.255.252.0 x.y.3.19
> >
> > statement and that's it. Nothing more. Whole address range from
> > x.y.24.0 to x.y.27.254 is routed here as it should be. For something
> > like this ARP would be really evil solution.
>
> That's OK, as long as the NAT network is routed to your PF box it
> will work.

This was just an explanation, I am sure this is OK, as I have some
network experience already for... well, a ong time.

> The situation you mentioned in a previous message where you see
> lots and lots of NAT states for a single public IP address is what
> I suspected was happening.  When you require more NAT states per
> IP than ephemeral ports you will run into issues because you will
> run out of NAT space.

No, there were not much states per problematic IP, maybe just tens of
them for one or couple internal IPs. That's weird.

> If the round-robin works with a smaller pool, then I suspect Glebius
> will be interested.

Well, if he chimes in, I would only welcome that. Currently I am
waiting for any signs of troubles with shrinked pool, if there will be
any.

Milan